Scroll to Top

Martin Lawrence CONFIRMS Bad Boys 3 as he shares snap of reunion with Will Smith

By Admin / Published on Friday, 02 Nov 2018 14:28 PM / No Comments

Martin Lawrence CONFIRMS Bad Boys 3 as he shares snap of reunion with Will Smith

They ride together, they die together.

And Will Smith and Martin Lawrence are making good on their promise to be Bad Boys for life.

The two talented stars reunited in Santa Monica as Lawrence, 53, took to Instagram on Thursday to share a snap from their meeting while confirming they are returning to their highly-popular action franchise.

For life: Martin Lawrence reunited with Will Smith in Santa Monica as he shared this snap while confirming that Bad Boys 3 is happening

For life: Martin Lawrence reunited with Will Smith in Santa Monica as he shared this snap while confirming that Bad Boys 3 is happening

The former Martin star posted the photo with 50-year-old will alongside the caption: ‘It’s official. Bad Boys for Life. #teammartymar #badboysforlife @willsmith #weback.’

 This comes just weeks after Variety reported Smith is on board to return as Miami detective Mike Lowrey from 1995’s Bad Boys and the 2003 sequel Bad Boys II.

Smith’s on-screen partner Martin Lawrence has not yet ‘come to terms’ with the studio, but the comedic actor, ‘continues to circle’ the project. 

They're back: This comes just weeks after a Variety report that the third action film in the series  is coming together at Sony; the stars are seen in 2003's Bad Boys II

They’re back: This comes just weeks after a Variety report that the third action film in the series is coming together at Sony; the stars are seen in 2003’s Bad Boys II

This project has been in the works for years, which was at one point called Bad Boys For Life, but the plans have recently gained new life, thanks to a new draft of the script.

Chris Bremner (The Wedding Ringer) wrote the most recent draft of the script, which has been with production penciled to begin in early 2019.

While not yet confirmed by Sony, the current plan is to have Bad Boys 3 in theaters in January 2020, over the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend.

Dynamic duo: Smith's on-screen partner Martin Lawrence (seen here in 1995's Bad Boys) has not yet 'come to terms' with the studio, but the comedic actor, 'continues to circle' the project

Dynamic duo: Smith’s on-screen partner Martin Lawrence (seen here in 1995’s Bad Boys) has not yet ‘come to terms’ with the studio, but the comedic actor, ‘continues to circle’ the project

David Guggenheim (Designated Survivor) and Joe Carnahan (The A-Team) had previously taken a crack at the script, with Carnahan even once set to direct.

The directing duties have now been handed over to Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah, who are best known for directing the first two episodes of the hit FX series Snowfall. 

Columbia Pictures president Sanford Panitch said in a previous interview that, if they wanted to make another Bad Boys movie 15 years later, it would have to be ‘next-level great,’ which he thinks the new directors can bring.

The Bad Boys return: This project (a sequel to 1995's Bad boys, seen above) has been in the works for years, which was at one point called Bad Boys For Life, but now it has a new lease on life, thanks to a new script

The Bad Boys return: This project (a sequel to 1995’s Bad boys, seen above) has been in the works for years, which was at one point called Bad Boys For Life, but now it has a new lease on life, thanks to a new script

‘These guys are amazing,’ Panitch said. ‘They loved the first movies, but they’re not afraid to change things up.’

Panitch also added that a new Bad Boys movie would be ‘inconceivable’ without original stars Will Smith and Martin Lawrence, and while he wouldn’t divulge any story details, the executive revealed there will be a ‘big idea’ at the heart of it.

‘With these movies you have to have one big idea for the film,’ Panitch said. ‘In some ways, this big idea is ultimately more important than the brand itself.’

Lowrey and Burnett: While not yet confirmed by Sony, the current plan is to have Bad Boys 3 starring Smith and Lawrence (seen above in 2003's Bad Boys II) in theaters in January 2020, over the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend

Lowrey and Burnett: While not yet confirmed by Sony, the current plan is to have Bad Boys 3 starring Smith and Lawrence (seen above in 2003’s Bad Boys II) in theaters in January 2020, over the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend

The original Bad Boys, which helped launch the film careers of TV stars Will Smith and Martin Lawrence in 1995, grossed $ 141.4 million worldwide on just a $ 19 million budget, which also marked the feature directorial debut of Michael Bay.

Bay returned to take the helm on the 2003 sequel Bad Boys II, which earned $ 273.4 million worldwide from a much larger $ 130 million budget. 

Sony is trying to compete with Disney by bringing back franchises from their vault, with varying degrees of success.

While Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle was a huge hit last year with $ 962 million worldwide (from a $ 90 million budget), the studio’s Ghostbusters reboot took in $ 221.9 million worldwide, from a $ 144 million budget.

The studio also has reboots of Men in Black and Charlie’s Angels in the works, with a 21 Jump Street spin-off with female detectives also in development. 

The original: The original Bad Boys (the 1995 poster seen above), which helped launch the film careers of TV stars Will Smith and Martin Lawrence in 1995, grossed $  141.4 million worldwide on just a $  19 million budget, which also marked the feature directorial debut of Michael Bay

The original: The original Bad Boys (the 1995 poster seen above), which helped launch the film careers of TV stars Will Smith and Martin Lawrence in 1995, grossed $ 141.4 million worldwide on just a $ 19 million budget, which also marked the feature directorial debut of Michael Bay

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

U.S. Showbiz | Mail Online

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *